ZULTGEMS believes that mining should never be at the expense of communities, workers or the environment. Ethically mined with environmentally safe techniques, Zultanite® has a positive impact on the lives of its miners and the surrounding community.
- All mining should be sustainable; protect water sources from chemicals, debris, rubbish, silt and biological pollutants; minimize the destruction of flora and fauna; and restore mined land as close as possible to its original condition.
- Turkish Mining & Environmental Laws compliant. The mine does everything by the book and are subject to regular inspections.
- Underground operations minimally impact the surface, i.e. fewer trees are felled, no major excavations, etc.
- The few trees that need to be felled are cut by the forestry department. The mine pays fees that results in 10 trees being planted for every tree felled.
- Waste water from the kitchen and baths are collected and removed by truck so there is zero soil contamination.
As an equal opportunity employer, ZULTGEMS strongly oppose unfair labor practices and believe all employers should provide safe working environments.
- The workers are paid above the average salary for miners in the region and are all fully insured, which is the exception in Turkish mines.
- Zultanite® miners are all housed and fed onsite and wherever possible, the mine purchases supplies from the surrounding community and employs local people. For example, the new conveyer belts are manned exclusively by women from surrounding villages.
- To foster goodwill, the mine donates bricks to a local community center that provides free housing to the poor, donates food twice a year to more than 100 homes in villages surrounding the mine and routinely provides local village schools with supplies.
Click here to watch leading jewelry designer, Erica Courtney, experience firsthand the important role Zultanite® plays in the local community when she plants trees and visits a village school.